Where did 50% of their income go?

Recently I was advising a friend on how she could submit her music for consideration on Pandora, and when searching her music on Amazon, including the Audio CD (a physical CD on Amazon is required first before being able to submit to Pandora radio), I noticed her label was listed as CD Baby/INDYS. Well a big current plus of getting on Pandora is that Pandora is one of the many entities who pay soundexchange. It’s my understanding that 92% of that pay goes to featured artist and the sound recording copyright owner/i.e. ‘Label’ (Soundexchange), and the other 8% goes to the publisher, composer and songwriter (BMI, ASCAP, SESAC, etc.. – PROs). Recently many independent artists who basically ARE their own label had been sharing with each other about how some of the best income they receive is from Pandora, via Soundexchange, while many other artists who get paid by Soundexchange weren’t receiving such big payments from Pandora. Now, of course there could be many factors such as how many actual plays did each artist really receive, and therefore they got paid less or more based on that. But my question are;1. Is the label CD Baby/INDYS receiving from Soundexchange the label portion of payment for all those artists who have their label listed that way on their album distribution? and 2.  If so, has CD Baby kept this ‘label’ earnings or paid it out to the independent artists to whom it was due?  Whether true, intentional, or not intentional, these are just questions at this point, something to be explored.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s